I enjoyed this book because it explores:
- Differing expectations in an otherwise happy marriage
- The challenges of retirement
Although the story revolves around an older couple, it will appeal to anyone who has faced the stress that change can bring to a relationship.
"A Stitching Post Romance" - so we'll have more to look forward to from Patricia and Stephanie. Book Two - THE FRIENDSHIP STAR QUILT - is scheduled for release this spring by Astraea Press.
She'd always wanted to travel but had never been farther from Grand Rapids than a few camping weekends on the shore of nearby Lake Michigan. Still, she had no regrets. She and Dave would have the time to travel once they both took their early retirements.
(From 1% on my Kindle - Yes, I stretched my excerpt to three sentences this time, but one of them is really short!)
Genre: Women's Fiction / Sweet Romance
Number of Pages: 178
Amazon Link: THE CALICO HEART
More Books by These Authors:
SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS:
On the surface, Sylvia Miller has a perfect life. She’s married to her college sweetheart, has three great kids, a rewarding career, and wonderful friends. But beneath the appearances, Sylvia is restless. She loves her husband, but wants to see more of the world than their peaceful Michigan town. For years, she’s dreamed of the interesting places she wants to visit. Now, their youngest child is grown, and Sylvia is ready for adventure.
Left a penniless orphan, David Miller promised himself his family would never know the same humiliation. For twenty-six years, he and Sylvia have lived frugally, saving for the future. Now, Dave is on the brink of a promotion that will ensure their financial security, but Sylvia wants him to retire and travel with her.
When Dave refuses, Sylvia decides to go alone. But it’s a decision that could cost them much more than money.
Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
- Grab your current read
- Open to a random page
- Share two (2) "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
- BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn't give too much away -- you don't want to ruin the book for others)
- Share the title and author too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers
- Leave a comment on MizB's Teaser Tuesday post (HERE) and include your link so everyone can find your post.